The Director of Customer Service & Business Development (the “Director”) of the Virginia Horse Center (VHC) is a senior member of the executive leadership team, and works under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and in collaboration with other senior executive officers. The primary responsibilities of this role are to interact and engage with our customers (who are show managers) to understand the unique requirements for each show and work with facility staff to ensure that show manager expectations are met, resulting in satisfied customers who will maintain their current shows at the facility. The Director will be responsible for maintaining the show calendar and working with potential new shows to generate new business. With the VHC’s General Manager who is a direct report the Director will ensure that show requirements are properly executed and that show exhibitors have a high-quality experience that makes them want to return. Travel will be required.
This position is located at the Virginia Horse Center in Lexington, Virginia. Applicant should be prepared to live in Lexington/Rockbridge County. Bachelor's degree preferred, but not required if candidate demonstrates 6-8 years' experience in similar role. Salary will commensurate with level of experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise General Manager to whom all operational facility staff report.
- Liaise with horse show or event managers, whether contracted employees of the VHC, or independent individuals managing leased events, in a manner that maximizes the potential for success for the VHC and the event.
- Ensure a high-quality experience for all who visit the VHC. May include customer service training for staff.
- Along with the CEO, create and execute business development strategies to attract competitions, seminars, demonstrations and other activities to the VHC that increase stature and improve profitability.
- Assure that all required licensing and documentation is executed with the appropriate governing body for equestrian events owned by the VHC.
- Manage the facility calendar to ensure that as many profitable shows as possible can be accommodated, consolidating smaller shows into a time period that allows for the use of the entire facility.
- Prepare contracts for all shows annually. Work with senior management team to set prices for usage of various parts of the facility.
- Along with the senior leadership team, collaborate and cooperate with the Chief Development Officer on fundraising strategies and implementation.
- Support the CEO's Ambassadorial role within Rockbridge County and the City of Lexington, Virginia, in a manner that promotes the VHC's extraordinary contribution to the local, regional and state economy, and which serves to continue the public and political support necessary for the VHC's viability.
- As a member of the senior leadership team, provide detailed information as to performance and strategy with regard to the CFO's budgetary process.
- Knowledge of equestrian Industry and horse shows - knowledge of the equestrian industry, including the leading and most notable breed and discipline organizations, associations and federations
- Credibility with horse show management - experience and knowledge of the basic structure of competitive equestrian events to garner the respect of horse show managers and exhibitors
- Business development – experience closing new business
- Community relation management – knowledge of a local community’s needs and perceptions of the VHC and work to improve those perceptions.
- Conflict resolution– in conjunction with the senior team, help identify the root cause of disputes and use negation tactics to encourage resolution
- Public speaking– public speaking skills to present at public and private meetings
- Marketing – ability to effectively share the organization’s message with all our constituents
- Interpersonal skills–experience building trusting and effective partnerships to facilitate engagement and outreach. Ability to quickly relate with many different types of people
- Organization skills – strong organization skills; ability to assess and arrange priorities
- Administrative skills– perform general administrative duties as assigned
- Writing skills – ability to create an assortment of different kinds of documents and written reports